[Users] February 2, 2021 Zeta Alliance Conference Call Summary

Barry de Graaff info at barrydegraaff.nl
Tue Apr 13 08:26:45 CEST 2021

In reply on the topic Zimbra and SELinux,

I have ran Zimbra on SELinux in Enforced mode on CentOS 7 for years
without any issues. But I have since moved on to Ubuntu...

However if you look at how Zimbra runs using `ps auxZ` and the file
permissions using `ls -halZ`you will notice that Zimbra runs in
/unconfined/ mode. This means that Zimbra is not protected by any
SELinux policy and Zimbra can do whatever it wants even if SELinux is in
enforced mode it will not do anything!

In practice this means that if you enable SELinux you get some
protection against security issues in packages and software that are
installed and provided via the distribution. For example sshd? Needless
to say that most attack vectors will not be covered this way. So this
means you will need to install security updates and patches as soon as
they are available.

The next question from a sysadmin perspective would be: is it worth it
to enable SELinux? This will depend largely if you run other software on
the Zimbra server as well (which you should not) and if you can afford
down-time if SELinux causes something to stop working unintentional. It
is a hard question to answer, and it almost does not matter. Many more
things make more sense, like installing a host firewall, checking what
processes listen on what ports. Disable ssh password authentication,
disable smtp authentication on port 25 install fail2ban, install
monitoring on failed imap and other login's, having a lock-out policy
etc... etc.... having a centralized logging server. Having rate limiting...

So if Zimbra gets implemented with a real SELinux policy (or if you are
crazy enough to define one) then enabling it will bring more security.
For now it will only bring minimal added security, but it comes with a
small chance of SELinux breaking Zimbra.

one more thing...

I have noticed that during updates of CentOS (and Fedora), the
maintainers seem to have a hard time keeping SELinux going, I have seen
all sorts of scripts being fired to set/reset new permissions to deal
with changes on SELinux. These scripts can take a LONG time to complete
as they iterate through all files and folders. If you have a large
number of files/folders on your system this can become an annoyance and
cause the system to slow down, or take a long time to boot the system.
Also updates in SELinux and its policies can and *will break custom
policies* that a sysadmin should define if running software that is not
provided by the distro.

This and the fact that there are almost no documented cases on the
Internet where SELinux actually prevented a bad thing from happening
made me decide to disable it on servers with custom software. In most
other cases I just left it on enforced.

If someone else has any thoughts on this, I'd like to hear it!

Regards, Barry