<html><body><div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><div>My idea with the packages was mix both, ZeXtras for the phyisical Hosting of the packages, and Synacor/Zimbra providing the DNS entry for packages.zimbra.org, which to me makes sense, as this is an Alliance where everyone provides what is in his hands.<br></div><div><br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div>A DNS record would take between 24/48 hours to be done, not because of me, because need an IT ticket, nothing that it's incompatible with start working on Zextras servers, etc.<br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div><br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div>Just my opinion <br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div><br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div>Best regards<br data-mce-bogus="1"></div><div><br></div><hr id="zwchr" data-marker="__DIVIDER__"><div data-marker="__HEADERS__"><b>From: </b>"David Sommerseth" &lt;dazo@eurephia.org&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"Barry De Graaff" &lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt;<br><b>Cc: </b>"L. Mark Stone" &lt;lmark.stone@reliablenetworks.com&gt;, users@lists.zetalliance.org, devel@lists.zetalliance.org<br><b>Sent: </b>Monday, April 18, 2016 8:19:19 PM<br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Users] Proposal packaging Zimlets/Extensions via OS repos using RPM/DEB<br></div><br>On 18/04/16 19:23, Barry De Graaff wrote:<br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> Hi David,<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;While I agree with you in theory, I am looking at this from a practical<br>&nbsp;standpoint.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;zimbra.org is managed by the Zimbra IT staff, who knows where they<br>&nbsp;outsourced that or what will happen the next take-over.<br></blockquote></div><br>Fair point! &nbsp;But can't we ask Jorge to get some more privileges who can do<br>such changes in a more rapid way on behalf of our united community?<br><br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> zetalliance.org is managed by ZeXtras for now....<br></blockquote></div><br>Yupp. &nbsp;ZeXtras have done a great job so far. &nbsp;But I also remember it's been<br>a rocky ride to get where we are today. &nbsp;I'd like to avoid stepping back a<br>few steps again as much as possible.<br><br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> Then I am looking for the way that is the least likely candidate to give<br>&nbsp;roadblocks down the road, I opt for the zetalliance for now. As I know<br>&nbsp;having DNS changes done on zetalliance.org will be A LOT faster performed<br>&nbsp;than on the zimbra.org.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Also keep in mind that it is hard to get lots of things done with the<br>&nbsp;legal status of both Zimbra Inc and zetalliance atm.<br></blockquote></div><br>Ahh, I thought much of that was already sorted out ... maybe I haven't paid<br>too much attention.<br><br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> So. It seems Tuan is also very busy, he did not even replied to any of<br>&nbsp;this yet, so if any of you want to look at Quanah's stuff and begin with<br>&nbsp;packaging PLEASE do, otherwise I am still tempted to go the alien way.<br></blockquote></div><br>That's fair. &nbsp;We need to see progress within a reasonable time, and at least<br>some responses with some kind of estimate when people have time to look at it.<br><br>Does Tuan and Quanah join the weekly calls? &nbsp;(I'm sorry I haven't had a<br>chance to join in yet, until end of May my schedule is just a bit too crazy<br>filled)<br><br><br>David S.<br><br><br><br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> ----- Oorspronkelijk bericht ----- Van: "David Sommerseth"<br>&nbsp;&lt;dazo@eurephia.org&gt; Aan: "L. Mark Stone"<br>&nbsp;&lt;lmark.stone@reliablenetworks.com&gt;, "Guy CARRÉ" &lt;guycarre@free.fr&gt; Cc:<br>&nbsp;devel@lists.zetalliance.org, users@lists.zetalliance.org Verzonden:<br>&nbsp;Maandag 18 april 2016 18:57:29 Onderwerp: Re: [Users] Proposal packaging<br>&nbsp;Zimlets/Extensions via OS repos using RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;On 17/04/16 20:59, L. Mark Stone wrote:<br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> I agree the alliance should use its own domain.</blockquote></div><br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;I actually disagree.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;We try to build a community, across users, companies, supporters and<br>&nbsp;other who are interested in the a prospering Zimbra product. &nbsp;I think as<br>&nbsp;far as possible we should then use zimbra.org. &nbsp;Most F/OSS projects have <br>&nbsp;traditionally used .org addresses and zimbra makes it very obvious that<br>&nbsp;his is the official Zimbra community.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;With that said, I do not object if there are mirrors of zimbra.org under<br>&nbsp;the zetalliance.org domain - to keep Synacor honest in their community <br>&nbsp;involvement as they are the owner of zimbra.org.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;But all in all, I want to give Synacor the benefit of doubt when it comes<br>&nbsp;to their interest taking part in a true FLOSS community. &nbsp;This is also<br>&nbsp;not uncommon or unheard of, in fact it is fairly common - just have a<br>&nbsp;look at OpenVPN, FreeIPA, oVirt etc, etc. &nbsp;All of them have community<br>&nbsp;domains owned by the company being the main sponsor of the project.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;-- kind regards,<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;David Sommerseth<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> On Apr 17, 2016, at 2:43 PM, Guy CARRÉ &lt;guycarre@free.fr&gt; wrote:<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;I supposed zimbra.org is owned by Synacor ? Which make me think that<br>&nbsp;a subdomain of zetalliance.org is more approriate for independancy.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Regards,<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;___________________________________ / \<br>&nbsp;/-------------------------------------\ | &nbsp;Guy CARRÉ | |<br>&nbsp;************* &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| | &nbsp;PostMaster - WikiMaster - <br>&nbsp;SysAdmin | | &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; | | "Free Your<br>&nbsp;Mind. Think Open Source" | | &nbsp;april.org &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| | <br>&nbsp;| |_____________________________________|<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;----- Mail original ----- De: "Jorge de la Cruz" <br>&nbsp;&lt;jdelacruz@zetalliance.org&gt; À: "Guy CARRÉ" &lt;guycarre@free.fr&gt; Cc: <br>&nbsp;"Barry De Graaff" &lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt;, "Tony Publiski" <br>&nbsp;&lt;tonster@tonster.com&gt;, devel@lists.zetalliance.org, <br>&nbsp;users@lists.zetalliance.org, "Zeta Alliance Founders" <br>&nbsp;&lt;founders@zetalliance.org&gt; Envoyé: Dimanche 17 Avril 2016 20:33:02 <br>&nbsp;Objet: Re: [Users] Proposal packaging Zimlets/Extensions via OS<br>&nbsp;repos using RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;+1<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;But I will suggest to use packages.zimbra.org even if that<br>&nbsp;sub-domain points to a server that Cine manages<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Best regards<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;----- Mail original -----<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;From: "Guy CARRÉ" &lt;guycarre@free.fr&gt; To: "Barry De Graaff" <br>&nbsp;&lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt; Cc: "Tony Publiski" &lt;tonster@tonster.com&gt;, <br>&nbsp;devel@lists.zetalliance.org, users@lists.zetalliance.org, "Zeta <br>&nbsp;Alliance Founders" &lt;founders@zetalliance.org&gt; Sent: Friday, April<br>&nbsp;15, 2016 3:41:51 PM Subject: Re: [Users] Proposal packaging <br>&nbsp;Zimlets/Extensions via OS repos using RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Thx Barry<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;___________________________________ / \ <br>&nbsp;/-------------------------------------\<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Guy CARRÉ | ************* | PostMaster - WikiMaster - SysAdmin | | <br>&nbsp;"Free Your Mind. Think Open Source" | april.org | |<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;|_____________________________________|<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;----- Mail original ----- De: "Barry De Graaff" <br>&nbsp;&lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt; À: "Guy CARRÉ" &lt;guycarre@free.fr&gt; Cc:<br>&nbsp;"Tony Publiski" &lt;tonster@tonster.com&gt;, devel@lists.zetalliance.org, <br>&nbsp;users@lists.zetalliance.org, "Zeta Alliance Founders" <br>&nbsp;&lt;founders@zetalliance.org&gt; Envoyé: Vendredi 15 Avril 2016 15:16:10 <br>&nbsp;Objet: Re: [Users] Proposal packaging Zimlets/Extensions via OS<br>&nbsp;repos using RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;The original thought was here: <br>&nbsp;http://lists.zetalliance.org/pipermail/devel_lists.zetalliance.org/2016-April/000001.html<br><br><br><br>&nbsp;</blockquote></div></blockquote></div></blockquote></div><br>----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy CARRÉ" &lt;guycarre@free.fr&gt; To:<br><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__"><blockquote style="border-left:2px solid #1010FF;margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"> "Tony Publiski" &lt;tonster@tonster.com&gt; Cc:<br>&nbsp;devel@lists.zetalliance.org, users@lists.zetalliance.org, "Zeta<br>&nbsp;Alliance Founders" &lt;founders@zetalliance.org&gt;, "Barry De Graaff"<br>&nbsp;&lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt; Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 3:12:22 PM<br>&nbsp;Subject: Re: [Users] Proposal packaging Zimlets/Extensions via OS<br>&nbsp;repos using RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;+ 1 for the debian packages. (Deb &gt;&gt;&gt; rpm :-p ) Do you plan to set<br>&nbsp;up source packages too ?<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Can we have more explanation about "Zimlet 2.0" ?<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Thank you.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;___________________________________ / \ <br>&nbsp;/-------------------------------------\<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Guy CARRÉ | ************* | PostMaster - WikiMaster - SysAdmin | | <br>&nbsp;"Free Your Mind. Think Open Source" | april.org | |<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;|_____________________________________|<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;----- Mail original ----- De: "Tony Publiski" &lt;tonster@tonster.com&gt;<br>&nbsp;À: "Barry De Graaff" &lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt; Cc: <br>&nbsp;devel@lists.zetalliance.org, users@lists.zetalliance.org, "Zeta <br>&nbsp;Alliance Founders" &lt;founders@zetalliance.org&gt; Envoyé: Vendredi 15<br>&nbsp;Avril 2016 13:02:28 Objet: Re: [Users] Proposal packaging<br>&nbsp;Zimlets/Extensions via OS repos using RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;+1<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry De Graaff" <br>&nbsp;&lt;barrydg@zetalliance.org&gt; To: "Zeta Alliance Founders" <br>&nbsp;&lt;founders@zetalliance.org&gt; Cc: users@lists.zetalliance.org, <br>&nbsp;devel@lists.zetalliance.org Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 5:26:17 AM <br>&nbsp;Subject: Proposal packaging Zimlets/Extensions via OS repos using <br>&nbsp;RPM/DEB<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Dear founders,<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;I would like to propose to start using RPM's and DEB's for the <br>&nbsp;deployment and install of Zimlets/Extensions.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;The use of DEB/RPM allows us to install Zimlets, Admin Zimlets, <br>&nbsp;Extensions and configuration (by way of post install scripts).<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Please note that it will still be possible to install any Zimlet the <br>&nbsp;`old` way, doing it with repo's (kind of like with epel on Centos)<br>&nbsp;will allow Sysadmins to have a trusted source for Zimlets that<br>&nbsp;potentially can be automatically upgraded.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Another benefit of this that Zimbra has already a lot of stuff in<br>&nbsp;place to build RPM/DEBs and that Ubuntu and RedHat already have all<br>&nbsp;the stuff we need built in, saving us a lot of time.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Proposal is to create a repository for Zimbra-Community that holds<br>&nbsp;all our work and that of others.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;1st step, Quanah to deliver an example repo that shows how to package<br>&nbsp;a Zimlet 2nd step, Tuan to package some zimlets, for example<br>&nbsp;pgp-zimlet 3rd step, Quanah point out how to push code to the build<br>&nbsp;process 4th step, Cine delivers an https webserver for the repo and a<br>&nbsp;nice url, packages.zetalliance.org 5th step, Quanah or a script<br>&nbsp;copies the RPM/DEB files to the repo 6th step, create a wiki on how<br>&nbsp;to add the repo.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Founders, I would like your +1/-1's on this. Then I will see what<br>&nbsp;parts of the Zimlet 2.0 need to be targeted somewhere else.<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Regards Barry<br>&nbsp;</blockquote></div></blockquote></div><br>&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br><br></blockquote></div><br>-- <br>kind regards,<br><br>David Sommerseth<br></div></body></html>