[Users] February 23, 2021 Zeta Alliance Conference Call Summary
randy at skywaynetworks.com
Wed Apr 14 19:20:14 CEST 2021
Hello Zeta Alliance Community,
Here is a summary of this week’s conference call. A few brief reminders:
* Conference calls are every Tuesday and open to all using either the FreeConferenceCall.com VoIP app or via a dial-in number: [ https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/zetalliance | https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/zetalliance ]
* Each week’s call agenda can be found at: [ https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xDyBJFjnfZYxuXJHiDzsXjjMuGGtIl7J | https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xDyBJFjnfZYxuXJHiDzsXjjMuGGtIl7J ]
* A copy of each week’s summary is also posted to the Zimbra Forums:
* All Prior Months: [ https://forums.zimbra.org/viewforum.php?f=9 | https://forums.zimbra.org/viewforum.php?f=9 ]
* January 2021 : [ https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69121 | https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69121 ]
* February 2021 : [ https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69470 | https://forums.zimbra.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69470 ]
* Constructive feedback on these call summaries is always welcome.
February 23, 2021
Demonstration of VNCmail
Andrea W. with VNClagoon demonstrated her company’s product, VNCmail ( [ https://vnclagoon.com/products/vncmail | https://vnclagoon.com/products/vncmail ] / ). The product uses Zimbra at its core, and she said that it has 3 new front-end clients: a web client, Android, and iOS. They have also created their own search index based on Apache Solr in place of Lucene normally used within Zimbra. She explained that the Solr index includes searching of email, chat messages, tickets, tasks, and uploaded files for the integrated VNCsafe (file sharing) product. The VMCmail product can integrate either with OpenLDAP or Zimbra’s embedded OpenLDAP server. She said that these products can be hosted either on-premises or in a hosted environment.
* VMCcalendar: that can open a Zimbra calendar as a standalone web page outside of the Zimbra Web Client.
* VNCtalk: that includes a chat feature, video/audio calls, and screen sharing, which is a replacement for Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and WhatsApp.
* VNCproject: that includes an AI-based virtual assistant for agile management of projects.
Mark S. asked if these products can run on top of Zimbra Open Source Edition and Zimbra Network Edition. Andrea said that it supports both, but does not yet support Zimbra 9.0, where support is available only on 8.8.x. Marc G. asked if using Zimbra Open Source, does Andrea’s company have an integration with Outlook, similar to the Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO). Andrea said that there is currently no integration available for Outlook from VNC, so customers can instead use ZCO, if they are running the Zimbra Network Edition. Marc G. asked if VNC products seamlessly integrate with NextCloud/ownCloud so that files are easily accessible on both desktop and mobile clients. Andrea said files can either be retrieved from the VNC product on the desktop, or the ownCloud app on mobile devices. M. Garbin asked if the VNC product supports shared folders for file sharing. Andrea said that the VNC products do support this capability.
Open Source Vulnerabilities Tracking Service
Randy L. shared news about the OSV project ( [ https://security.googleblog.com/2021/02/launching-osv-better-vulnerability.html | https://security.googleblog.com/2021/02/launching-osv-better-vulnerability.html ] ) that may be a useful resource for both the Zimbra development team, in addition to Zimbra administrators, to keep track of security vulnerabilities in the many open source projects that comprise Zimbra. This Google project is initially focusing on populating the vulnerability database with the results of fuzzing tests on various open source projects, which is the process of injecting unusual input in to an app and checking for unexpected behavior or app crashes that could result in an exploit. They plan to expand beyond fuzzing to incorporate CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures; [ https://cve.mitre.org/ | https://cve.mitre.org/ ] ) and security researcher’s findings too. They are hoping to create a centralized resource for this information, which often needs to be tracked by administrators and developers manually from multiple sources.
Randy Leiker ( randy at skywaynetworks.com )
Skyway Networks, LLC
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Users