[Devel] Zimbra FreeBSD Build and Packages

techsupport at altservice.com techsupport at altservice.com
Mon May 30 05:42:14 CEST 2016

Hi Ray,
 From my understanding of the Zimbra branches, the current stable version
is 8.7 (Judas Priest). You can switch to this branch by running git
checkout judaspriest-foss. This is the version I've been working with.

As for the OpenJDK versions, I would like to know the same.

The portability of the build scripts has been where I have been focusing
my attention. There was a patch file that existed of Zimbra 8.0.8 (way
behind on the minor version, but still in the same major version) that I
have been using as a sort of rosetta stone to tinker my way through the
build process (I'm not a real developer, I just pretend to be one on the
weekends). If you are interested in looking at it, I have a copy of it
at https://git.gnetsolutions.net/snippets/7

Making the build scripts more portable would be the best place to start,
in my opinion.

A definable Zimbra home directory is also a good idea to make Zimbra
more at home on FreeBSD. I do not have the necessary experience to
comment on OpenBSD, NetBSD, or Dragon Fly BSD.

The question regarding MACOSX interests me as well. The more Zimbra can
rely on packages provided by the OS, the easier the porting process will
go.

Another thing I wanted to cover was porting junixsocket to FreeBSD. This
appears to be a Linux / Mac OSX specific application. Once I had a
buildZCS.sh script capable of beginning the build process, junixsocket
failed to build properly.

You sound like your on the right track Ray. Do you have the
get_plat_tag.sh or buildZCS.sh scripts available online to observe?

Best regards,
Daniel